Monday, January 31, 2011

As our boy continues to grow...:)

New hat + new gloves = unhappy Kaleb. But our temps are going to get down in the teens and maybe lower...what's a momma to do?
Sportin our Holden Uganda t-shirts. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Kaleb's new onesie!
He HATES tummy time.

But he's making some progress so we suffer through it together! :)
New hair = happy momma! :)

Wow what to say. I always get on here and write when I'm tired, and knowing I should probably be doing something else. But I can't resist, because each moment I have these days is so precious with our new little guy that I want to capture them in some way, shape or form.
I can't believe how much he's grown in the last month or two since we've started him on formula. I am still breastfeeding, but not nearly as much as I was. I was pretty much exhausting myself - every two hours, and he'd feed for like an hour if I let him! It was unproductive because he was not gaining weight. So...now that we are doing both, both momma and Kaleb are happier! And he's almost to 13 pounds. Praise the Lord!
So now he seems a bit happier. I think that he is almost finished with colic. He still has some unhappy moments - some unhappy days, really - but it's much, much better than it was. He seems more satisfied, more content, and less unsettled. He is not hungry anymore! It makes me sad thinking that I could have been starving him and that was the only reason he was so upset all the time, but I can't let myself dwell on that too much. That would make me entirely too sad! I really honestly do think it was colic and acid reflux combined. Poor little guy. I hope that this is not the start to a hard life for him! But anyway, we are now feeding him about 6 - 8 ounces of formula each feeding every three or four hours, and then giving him Tagamet as well. I had to check on the Prevacid because it seemed to be making him have diarrhea! The nurse said it would be okay to change to Tagamet, so that's what we are doing. (Crossing my fingers!) I think that his acid reflux seems to be getting better. He still spits up a lot, but....to me, it seems to be gradually tapering off. Oh I so hope so!
So there ya go. We are getting better!
We are also learning to grasp things really well. He is more and more curious about his surroundings as each day goes by. He has started having favorite toys - all of them rattles of course! :) He has a little ball that is his favorite to hold, because it's pretty easy to grasp - it has little openings all over it, and a ball inside that rattles. He will play with it for a good ten minutes, picking it up, and putting it down, and examining it! :) Oh how momma loves to watch him learn!
He also has started this thing with blowing raspberries. It's very cute - I was going to post a video of it but it didn't upload right. So I will later. :)
It's my favorite thing to do in the world - to sit and listen to him do this all day long! I get nothing accomplished of course except for the pleasant smile on my face. Lol!
He has started his own routine at night, too, which is awesome.
We have dinner, then take a bath, then after bathtime he eats. Then he usually plays for a bit, then we breastfeed, then he's out for the night around 8:30 almost every night. I am trying, trying, trying to get him on a schedule, so that he'll be used to schedules! :) It'll be easier on everyone!
Being a mom is the best thing in the world, and I say that from the bottom of my heart. I read a verse shortly after he was born that I knew before, but really sank in. I just opened my bible one night to it - one particularly hard night - I think the Lord knew I needed to hear it. It's been a verse that sticks with me since, and I'm sure always will - and one that the Lord keeps instilling in me recently. It's very common - and basic - "Children too, are a gift from the Lord."
They are a "gift".
They aren't a "burden," like some would argue.
Each one is a treasure - unique and beautiful. And Kaleb was made just for us - just perfect for Justin and me.
Sometimes I'm overwhelmed - I won't lie! Sometimes I am tired, and cranky and just want to cry - especially if Kaleb is! Funny how that works huh...
Times are hard after having a little one. One example - we have Kaleb's bassinet in our room, and as I said, he goes down around 8:30. Well, I had had to wash our sheets on our bed that day because had slept in them earlier, and had had an accident and his diaper leaked all over them. But I didn't have a chance to get them out of the dryer til after he went down that night, and, in order not to wake him, I had to put the sheets on the bed as quietly as possible in the dark! It was no easy task, because our bed is next to the wall, and I also have to climb on top of it while putting the sheets on! And try putting sheets on a bed with a baby in your arms. Lol! I have learned how to do LOTS of things one handed. It's a big learning experience!
And these days, since he's getting heavier, I have stopped wearing heels so much. Because carrying his carrier is like...really, really heavy. And when he was two months old I dropped him on the cement (in his carrier, of course!) while wearing heels and trying to carry him and other things at the same time. Yeah, a terrible lesson to learn! Almost sprained my ankle too. Thank the Lord Kaleb was okay though.
It's not super easy, this mom stuff, though.
But it's so worth it. Even during the hardest moments, I love him so much I don't know what I would do without him now.
I may regret saying this, but I really wouldn't mind having another sweet one soon! Staying at home with Kaleb has been one of the best times I've ever experienced in my life. One more might just add to the joy...
But anyway! I really better watch what I say.
I can't wait to see how he grows more. Each day is an adventure.
Our house is paying for it, but I don't care. When you walk in, it looks like a tornado ran through - and Kaleb's not even walking yet. Lol. I can only imagine what it will look like a year from now.
I can't wait! :)
Maybe I can...People say that I should stop and just enjoy each moment. I am!
But I look forward to all of his firsts too, so much. I can't wait to see him stand, say his first word, his first sentence, and eat his first birthday cake.
It's all an adventure. :) SO fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment