Wednesday, January 19, 2011

And the verdict is....





Wonderful day! I just have to share!
We had another doc appointment today. I was a bit nervous because I wasn't sure what was going to happen.
We had been advised by the doc to schedule an appointment within one week after the last one according to our doctor. But due to circumstance, we had to wait two weeks.
Well, after two weeks of trying the new "regimen" Dr. Mclatchy gave us, I still had many questions. My main concern was that Kaleb wasn't getting enough of the meds the doctor had suggested. I say suggested, because the meds we were giving him were not prescription - the prescription she'd prescribed was too high, even on our insurance. So she had told the nurse to tell us to try Prevacid instead - the 14 day treatment that comes in a capsule form with time release beads. It says on the back of the package that it's for 18 years or older, but she assured me when I called the nurse back to check that it was okay to give it to my three month old in the full dose.
So we were giving Kaleb Prevacid, meanwhile also putting a tablespoon of rice cereal in every four ounces of formula he drank. All of this was to help him gain weight and help the doctor to know whether his problem of spitting up so much in one sitting was because of acid reflux, or a more serious problem some babies have - an intestinal obstruction, which might require surgery.
After this two week time frame, I still wasn't sure if anything was really helping. The main problem I was having was that the time release beads that I emptied into Kaleb's bottle every morning didnt' seem to be getting into his system - at least not all of them. Every time I'd give him a bottle, I'd see them still at the bottom after he was done, and it was almost impossible to get them all out and into something he could swallow. And the bottles I was using were specially made to help with bigger quantities. And after trying several different kinds of bottles, nothing seemed to work to get those little guys down my baby's throat! :)
Plus, I wasn't really sure if the amount of spitting up he was doing was changing at all. He was still kind of fussy after eating, and still spitting up.
So, I went to the doc with all of this in my head, and prepared to share with her my concerns.
Well, the first bit of good news - and the biggest news - was the scale.
We put him on it and he weighed a whopping 12 pounds and 2 ounces - which means he gained a POUND and 2 ounces in a two week time frame!
He was also in a much better mood than he was last time. (crossing my fingers here) He has been in an overall better mood over the last few days. He wasn't screaming, and writhing around like he has been so much. :)
These two things really pleased Dr. Mclatchy as soon as she saw him. She immediately wrote off the intestinal obstruction. I knew she would - she said that she'd just had no way of knowing before, but because he's gained so much weight in such a short time frame, that's the biggest sign he does NOT have an obstruction. Babies with an obstruction do not grow - she said they are like emaciated. .That is not his case! Praise the LORD!!! He is good ALL the time! :)
So....she assured me that it is acid reflux. Her opinion on that means a lot to me, because it is one) the second opinion I've gotten, and two) the affirmation I was looking for as far as what the problem is. So...my mommie's heart is much more at peace! :) Yay!!!
As far as the Prevacid is concerned, she suggested giving it to him in a syringe, or a medicine dropper instead of his bottle, mixed with a bit of formula to make it taste better. I think that will solve the problem of knowing whether he's getting it all or not. Also, she said that we should continue with the "treatment," and not stop after the 14 days. She said it will be an ongoing treatment for him, until he gets better and stops the spitting. Oh well. I guess there are worse things!
She also said that we could start giving him solids! She recommended starting on basic sweet things - like carrots, and sweet potatoes, and bananas, then going from there. :) I am excited!
She said she recommends this for babies with acid reflux - an earlier start to solids will help things stay down better too, therefore he will get more nutrients. :)
As strange as it sounds to me, because I've always heard and read everywhere that starting babies on solids is good after SIX months (besides the rice cereal), I am excited about it. I can't wait to see how he reacts to different foods. I want to start small, of course. She said just one meal a day should do right now. :) Hehe. I'm super excited about it actually! I cant' wait to see his face! I am thinking about making my own baby food - which I've heard is really fun too. We have a nice blender that I think may double as a food processor (do all blenders do that???). We'll see what we can do with it. :)
SO, with all of that said, we are on the road to recovery. Oh, and one last wonderful tidbit of info. - she said most all babies with acid reflux outgrow it within the first year, and they don't even end up with sensitive tummies. Yayee! I was worried about that too.
Oh yeah - and this time my mother in law went with me and she didn't have to dumpster dive. Haha.

So praise Jesus. He is SO good, all the time!

Here's to a kind of rough start...but all is well. I have been informed by many a person recently that "difficult" babies in the beginning usually turn out to be the best people. Lol.

I just know that's the case with our boy!



2 comments:

  1. Amber ;-)

    I'm so glad I found out about your blog! What a scary thing to go through trying to get enough food in Kaleb. So stressful, but it sounds like you are handling it well. You'll have to post pictures of him getting his first bites of "solid" food. I miss you!!! Wish I could visit!!!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! SO jealous that you get to start him on solids! I am going to ask my doc today. I want to caution you on starting him on TOO sweet things first, cause that's all he'll want and he won't eat the other veggies. But..do what your doc says, she knows best! Praise God he's just got reflux. As you read from my friend, her baby stopped having issues at 8-9 months after they switched to formula. :)

    ReplyDelete