Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Tabasco sauce...

It was a Tabasco sauce kind of day.

Meaning...my sweet Kaleb decided at the grocery store that he would throw the Tabasco sauce out of the cart onto the floor, spilling it everywhere. During my cleaning up of the cart, and him, I put his paci back into his mouth...only to find out that it had Tabasco sauce on it too...after he had rubbed his eyes and his whole face had turned beet red due to a reaction. Needless to say, he was crying, and not just because he was sad!

I didn't quite know how to react to the situation, but I did the best thing I knew...since I had SO many groceries in the cart, and still needed more! He cannot live without his paci sometimes though - especially if he's been crying.

So I hurried to the front of the store, with him screaming and crying, his face bright red with a developing rash (yes, it was THAT fast!) and rubbing his eyes and mouth over and over. Of course, he didn't know that that was actually not helping the situation at all! His eyes were turning a deeper and deeper shade of red as I grabbed a courtesy clerk at the front and asked him if he could watch K for just a sec while I ran out to the car to grab his milk. Know how when you eat spicy stuff, sometimes they say to drink milk afterward to get rid of the sting in your mouth? It was all I could think of at the moment! Plus, K loves his bottle, and, if there's ever a time he's inconsolable, it helps immediately.

It was one of those moments, when, as you frantically go through the list of what to do in your head, you are telling your child (and yourself!) over and over that "It's going to be okay, just a minute...It's going to be okay. You're okay." Even though you are kind of questioning in your head whether it really will be!

Lol. I laugh now but it was SO sad! For one, I felt TERRIBLE for letting him even look at the Tabasco bottle. HELLO? Moms just don't DO that! I felt like a failure mommie! Of course, he had several other things he was playing with in the basket, but I should NOT have let that be one of them.

He does occasionally like the throw-down-and-watch-mommie-pick-it-up game. So...I should have known he would do it with the Tabasco sauce bottle.

I never BUY Tabasco sauce, though, either! THAT makes me mad! It all started with trying out a dumb new recipe - which, sounded okay but not great. Yeah, needless to say, I won't be making it. Every time I think about making it, it makes me picture my baby with a beet red rash spreading all over his face.

Thankfully, the Lord was definitely watching over me and K (as He knew he needed to...lol - blond!). The courtesy clerk who watched Kaleb for me turned out to have a three year old himself, and he knew just how to make him happy while I went to fish for K's bottle of milk. He ended up taking out our groceries for us later, and K was smiling and talking to him, just like he was an old buddy. It was really quite humorous.

The milk did help with the spicy taste in K's mouth. However, no matter how much I wash that paci, it just does not have the same appeal to my precious boy anymore. Now when he takes it and puts it in his mouth, he turns it around and around, then spits it out a few seconds later. Clearly it still reminds him of a jalepeno pepper.

He still has a bit of a rash around his mouth, but he is doing okay. His eyes are better too, and I think he survived.

Lesson learned, momma.

I DON'T like Tabasco anymore.

And, neither does my Kaleb.

Obviously.

No comments:

Post a Comment