Tuesday, September 14, 2010

And...the waiting game begins

So....we've officially hit the 39 week mark.
Exactly one week til this little bundle is due and we are excited, anxious, nervous, thrilled, and...all the emotions that go along with knowing we are about to bring a new life into this world.
Our doctor's appointment went very well yesterday - no big news though!
My doctor, Dr. Rakov, checked me (because I asked him to - he did it graciously because normally he doesn't like to do that - in case of infection or whatever...but I was stubborn because I can't wait to know what is happening!) to see how things are progressing.
According to him, I am not even a cm dilated yet, so we have a bit of a ways to go...which could mean any day now, or could mean a week or two from now...Lol.
You just never know with these sweet little ones how things are going to go, because every pregnancy is different, and every baby is different.
But I am actually at peace at the moment. Ask me a few hours from now and I may tell you different, because that's the way things have been going lately..emotionally, anyway! :) But...I was telling sweet Kaleb today that he can come whenever he wants to, and not to give in to peer pressure out here from everyone! :) (Including me...:) I really am honestly okay with waiting, if that is what is best for Kaleb, and at this point, looks like it is.
I have been having some pretty strong contractions lately, and that does give me hope that he is coming sooner rather than later. But...like I said, if he wants to, he can wait til next week. Because I read somewhere that babies who stay in the womb at least 40 weeks are said to generally be healthier than those born earlier. I don't know how accurate the study was, but it makes sense to me...I mean, it is considered completely "full term". So...we shall see.
My "peace" about him not coming yet might also stem from my anxiety about giving birth too...Lol. In fact, I know it is. The unknown is SO scary to me!
Plus pregnancy has been wonderful, and I love the feeling of his little kicks and squirms...I could just sit and let him move around all day long and just enjoy the sheer fact of knowing he's in there growing...and doing well. I am nervous about knowing what to do with him when he gets here! :) I am sure this is normal too, but can't help it! I want to be the best mommie I can be, and I pray that I am.
My sweet sister in law, Shelly, gave me a verse today that blesses my heart...
"A woman when she is in travail hath sorrow, because her hour is come: but as soon as she is delivered of the child, she remembereth no more the anguish, for joy that a man is born into the world." John 16:20
Reading it was reassuring, and makes me feel better!
I think that some of my anxiety about the whole birth process is worrying that I may not be in complete control, and I have to give that to the Lord. Really, I have noticed that about myself - I like to be in control...and when I'm not, it does make me anxious! I just have to give that to the Lord and know that He is in control, and that He knows best! Whatever happens during the birthing process will be okay. I am getting an epidural, and maybe that will help.
So...this waiting game is interesting. So many thoughts and emotions go into it.
Of course, there is the emotion that stands out amongst them all - and that is the joy of knowing the outcome of the pain and suffering a woman goes through during labor - as Shelly said - the birth of the sweet, sweet baby. I can't wait for our Kaleb to arrive so I can kiss his nose, play with his little feet I always feel in my belly, and touch his sweet fingers. I can't wait to hold him and be there for him when he's sad, and when he's happy. Soooo fun and exciting, and yet a good challenge, I'm sure.

For so long I've dreamt of these last few weeks, and now, they have come upon us.
As I sit here and type, feeling Kaleb's sweet hiccups in my tummy, I look forward to the days ahead.
We will make sure we post lots of pics on here and on Facebook. Hopefully we'll have access to Facebook and the internet in the hospital.
Thanks for listening to me ramble, and I look forward to providing you with a sweet face, instead of my big belly pics! :)




1 comment:

  1. So glad everything is going so well with your pregnancy! It.... almost... makes me want to be pregnant again.... haha. I understand completely about fearing the unknown.... it's SCARY when you don't know what to expect or how your labor will go! But know that you are in the presence of God and He will be right along side of you! I am praying for a safe and easy delivery! Also, I thought you're comment on what to do with him once he's born was funny. I remember coming home from the hospial with KaeLee (my first) and she was sleeping in the carseat. We set the carseat down and we were like "now what?" haha. It's definitely a learning process, but it is SO fun! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete